New series alert! Wicked Take will be doing a weekly Boston sports rumor piece every Friday to give you the top stories of the week!
Boston Red Sox (Offseason)
- Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy stated that extension talks with Mookie Betts have “yet to begin.” CBO Chaim Bloom and GM Brian O’Halloran met with Mookie Betts last week, but those talks were said to be fairly informal. Also, note that Mookie Betts did unfollow the Red Sox on social media temporarily. Take that for what it is worth.
- Talks with Brock Holt have been “non-existent”, but Holt has revealed that “nothing serious” is being discussed with any other teams at this time.
- J.D Martinez’s opt-in decision was reportedly an easy one, that according to Rob Bradford of WEEI. This may be good news next season, as Martinez has yet another opt-out decision to be made.
Boston Celtics (12-4) 2nd East
- The Celtics are monitoring the buyout market for possible help at the center position, although Tacko Fall has impressed them in the G league thus far, prior to his injury.
- The Memphis Grizzlies currently sit 14th in the West (5-12). With their 2021 1st round pick top-six protected from the Boston Celtics, Boston is on track to acquire the Grizzlies’ unprotected 1st round pick next season.
- Kyrie Irving has stated he will not be playing (again) Friday when the Celtics travel to Brooklyn.
Boston Bruins (17-3-5) 1st Atlantic Division (1st East)
- David Backes and the B’s medical staff are taking a cautious approach to Backes’ return.
- Brett Ritchie is dealing with an early-season infection.
- Patrice Bergeron is out indefinitely with a lower-body injury.
New England Patriots (10-1) 1st AFC East (1st AFC)
- Antonio Brown will not be returning to Patriots this season.
- Mohamed Sanu is dealing with a high-ankle sprain but should be back against the Texans.
- Rob Gronkowski will not be returning to the Patriots this season.
- Phillip Dorsett is questionable for this Sunday against the Texans.
Be sure to follow @WickedTake on both Twitter and Instagram for 24/7 Boston sports content! Also, check back here every Friday for a new Boston sports update!
[Thumbnail photo via Boston Globe]